Children’s Hearing & Speech Centre of BC (Est. 1963) has taught hundreds of children who are deaf and hard of hearing to listen and speak, and to fully participate in the hearing world.
In 1963, a group of parents, along with Hilda Gregory C.M., O.B.C, a gifted and dedicated educator of the deaf, founded the Vancouver Oral Centre for Deaf Children (VOC). Today known as the Children’s Hearing & Speech Centre of BC, we are the first and still the only independent school in Western Canada to offer listening and spoken language education. Listening and spoken language education is based on the assumption that children learn to speak because they hear.
In 1963, before sophisticated hearing technology was available, Hilda Gregory was one of a handful of deaf educators who believed that even children with profound hearing losses, wearing hearing aids, had enough residual hearing that they could learn to listen and talk.
The model of small classes and individual sessions that was the cornerstone of the children’s success at VOC is the one we still use today. We provide our children with the listening and spoken language skills, education and confidence to pursue their dreams to the highest level.
- BC Ministry of Education (Office of the Inspector of Independent Schools)
- Ministry of Children & Family Development (Provincial Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services).
- Provincial Heath Services Authority – Early Hearing Program
- CARF accredited.
- Vancouver Coastal Health for Group Child Care and Preschool.
- Option Schools International
- Federation of Independent School Associations (FISA),
- Council of Service Providers.Children’s Hearing & Speech Centre of BC was recognized as one of the outstanding programs in North America by the Alexander Graham Bell Association in Washington, D.C. We are an active member of OPTION schools, which is an international organization that is dedicated to advancing excellence in listening and spoken language education. We are the only centre of our kind in Western Canada and one of three in Canada.
Children’s Hearing & Speech Centre of BC is Registered Charitable Organization with Canada Revenue Agency and an Extraprovincial Society under the Society Act of BC.
Charitable # 11928 2044 RR0001